Urological Home

Welcome to the Urological Community! Explore our library of helpful resources to help you learn more about how to catheterize, keep a healthy urinary tract and more. Our goal is to provide current, accessible and accurate information about a variety of urology issues you may experience. We look forward to answering any questions you may have.

Have you recently been told you will need a catheter? Are you curious about whether catheterizing could solve the incontinence issues you may have been experiencing? Are you a catheter veteran, but want to learn more? We have answers for anyone who falls into the above categories. Educate yourself about the different types and options and learn about how to troubleshoot issues, too!

It’s important to maintain your health – and that means maintaining the health of all your systems. Your urinary tract is included in full-body health! While urinary tract health may not always be under your control, paying attention to your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra may help you avoid trouble down the line. Learn more about your urological health in our community.

From interviews to how-to’s, some things are best explained in person. Watch these videos for great tips from Laura and our clinical team, who cover topics in a clear and concise way – not to mention fun!

Soreness with an Intermittent Catheter

Prostate Health and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or an enlarged prostate, is a common health issue in men and people assigned male at birth.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
using the right catheter

How Do You Know If You’re Using The Right Catheter?

How do we know if the catheter we’re using is the best one for our body? I asked myself this question long ago when I was discharged from the hospital and sent home with a standard intermittent catheter. I struggled for a long time with insertion, leaks and pain, unaware that there were a variety… Continue reading How Do You Know If You’re Using The Right Catheter?

Aaron Baker
catheter mix

Defining Your Catheter Mix: What’s In Your Freedom Kit?

Editor’s preface: we’ve received several questions recently regarding what urological products should be used when traveling vs. at home. One product certainly does not fit all situations; just as athlete wears different shoes for different terrains and sports, you may find a mix of products improve your quality of life. We asked our Spinal Cord… Continue reading Defining Your Catheter Mix: What’s In Your Freedom Kit?

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

To Hold or Not to Hold?

Occasionally resisting the urge to pee shouldn't cause problems,but if it becomes a habit, there could be serious damage to your bladder and overall health.

Stephanie Struyck Elgin
statement from society of pediatric urology

Statement From Societies For Pediatric Urology

BEVERLY, Mass., April 24, 2019 | PRNewswire Physicians Provide Clarity on Legislation Restricting Medical Options Following several developments in various legislative proposals that would limit medical options for pediatric patients, the Societies for Pediatric Urology issued the following statement to provide information about the dangers associated with the legislation and clarify significant factual errors that… Continue reading Statement From Societies For Pediatric Urology

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
kidney stone prevention

5 Tips for Preventing Kidney Stones

Kidney stones are extremely common, even affecting young children and teens. Kidney stones are small, pebble-like deposits composed of minerals and salts.

Cassandra Bursma, RD
self-cath

Navigating Childhood and Learning How to Self-Cath

If your child requires self-catheterization at school and is developmentally ready, it can be helpful for him or her to begin learning at an early age, possibly even as early as kindergarten.

Sarah Sanchez, NDTR
Accidents Happen

Accidents Happen

Preparing for an Incontinence Episode For the most part, the human body is a wonder of nature, a miraculous marvel of bio-mechanical intelligence. But it can also sometimes create an utter catastrophe of unintended dysfunction. One of the most private natural functions of the body is eliminating waste. This normal act can easily become one… Continue reading Accidents Happen

Aaron Baker
Bladder Condition

Promising Treatment for Bladder Condition

By Andy Winnegar | For The New Mexican While I was sitting through a meeting in Albuquerque 25 years ago, something shifted in back. I couldn’t stand up straight and I could barely walk. I had to crawl out of my chair and hobble to my car for the drive back to Santa Fe. A… Continue reading Promising Treatment for Bladder Condition

Aimee Sharp
Advantages of Male External Catheters

Advantages of Male External Catheters Over Other Catheter Types

Many men find male external catheters (MECs) a better alternative than other types of catheters and/or incontinence briefs. While each individual has their own preferences, there are some definite advantages that male external catheters (also called “condom catheters,” “texas catheters” or “urisheaths”) hold over both indwelling and intermittent catheters. First up is the infection rate.… Continue reading Advantages of Male External Catheters Over Other Catheter Types

Aimee Sharp
Next Page »
Serving Patients Nationwide