Families of children with special healthcare needs require extra care and attention.
Shield HealthCare provides specialized products, educational resources and support to help keep children with medical needs at home with their families, promoting healthy development and well-being.
The online GROW community is a resource for thousands of families and caregivers of children and youth. Stay informed with cutting-edge articles on these topics and more!
Nutrition: Tube feeding tips and specialized child nutrition
Incontinence: Sizing tips for diapers and pull-ups
Urology: Pediatric catheter insertion and troubleshooting
Ostomy: Choosing the right ostomy products for your child
Skin Care: Basic wound care, pressure ulcer prevention and skin protection
Lifestyle: Everyday issues at home, school and on the go
Tips for families of children with special healthcare needs:
- Find out from your healthcare team all you can about your child’s condition and what to expect.
- Work with your healthcare team to plan a schedule that fits with school, appointments and sleep.
- Have your child participate in his or her normal daily activities as much as possible.
- Write down any questions or concerns and take them to your child’s medical appointments.
- Keep track of your child’s weight and height. Your healthcare team will evaluate these measurements at regular visits to make sure your child is growing and developing as expected.
- Have enough supplies on hand at all times and be prepared for emergencies.
- Connect with other families with special needs children. Ask your healthcare team about local support groups or join an online forum.
Do you care for a tube-fed child?
Join our community of families sharing resources, information and individual experiences!
- Gain support and guidance from other parents and caregivers
- Get expert advice from our Registered Dietitians about your child’s enteral nutrition
- Find out about helpful resources that can make life easier
And be sure to check out our GROW Community Facebook page, where you can
- Get inspiration and encouragement
- Share your daily joys and struggles
- Find useful tips