You may need to increase your calorie and protein intake if you have lost weight or are having trouble gaining weight. The following tips and recipes offer simple and inexpensive ways to boost your intake.
Tips to boost your calorie intake
- Eat when you are hungry.
- Snack often.
- Prepare hot cereals and soups with milk or cream instead of water.
- Top vegetables or noodles with cheese, cream sauce or butter/margarine.
- Add ricotta or cottage cheese to casseroles and desserts.
- Plan lunches and dinners ahead of time to ensure that you have a nutritious meal on hand every day of the week.
- Make a list of food items you’ll need from the grocery store.
- Prepare foods that will easily freeze, such as rice, meat, pasta and vegetables.
- Freeze recipes in single serving containers.
- Label your food containers and date them. Use the oldest items first.
- Keep meals in the freezer for up to 3 months to maintain quality.