An intestinal blockage, also known as a bowel obstruction, is what occurs when the intestine is twisted, swollen, there is a lot of scar tissue present in an individual’s abdomen, or there’s food lodged in the intestine that does not allow output to empty from the body. In this video, Shield HealthCare’s Ostomy Lifestyle Specialist discusses tips to help clear an intestinal blockage. In this video, she talks specifically about:
- The symptoms of an intestinal blockage
- What you should do if you have an intestinal blockage
- When you should go to the emergency room, and
- What will happen when you get there
Laura also discusses how to prevent intestinal blockages, as well as the process of recovering from them.
Note: When unsure of whether or not you should go to the emergency room, always make the safe choice and go. They can asses you there.
For more information, see related articles and ostomy resources here:
- Order Your Free “Living Well With an Ostomy” Booklet
- Stomas and Seat Belts | Ask Laura
- Famous People with Ostomies
- Abdominal Adhesions
- Sleeping With An Ostomy Video
Shield HealthCare | Medical Supplies For Care At Home Since 1957