o b

Monthly Archive: April 2012

Caregiver Resource Day at SCV Senior Center Santa Clarita, CA

The Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center is sponsoring a Caregiver Resource Day on May 12, 2012.  This educational event is designed for family caregivers to provide the information and support they need on the latest topics affecting today’s aging population. Featured topics and guest speakers: The Latest Research in Aging and Alzheimer’s Disease presented by Helena Chang Chui, MD,… Continue reading Caregiver Resource Day at SCV Senior Center Santa Clarita, CA

Gina Flores

How Your Weight Can Affect Diabetes

Did you know that nearly 9 out of 10 people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes are overweight? If you are overweight, losing some weight could help you better manage your diabetes. People with diabetes are more likely to be overweight and to have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. At least one out of… Continue reading How Your Weight Can Affect Diabetes

Amy Long Carrera, MS, RD, CNSC, CWCMS

The Joy of Jason

Caregiver Story Spotlight | Shield HealthCare “What Makes Caregiving Rewarding?” Story Contest Story by Trisha M. Jason came to us first, through the foster care system then through adoption, along with his three siblings. He’s an identical twin to Jared, both of whom have the challenge of maternal alcohol related issues. Jason took the brunt… Continue reading The Joy of Jason

Gina Flores

Caring For A Child With Spinocerebellar Ataxia

Caregiver Story Spotlight | Shield HealthCare “What Makes Caregiving Rewarding?” Story Contest Story by Gretchen V. It’s tough to be a caregiver, BUT it’s tougher for the one to be cared for! My daughter, Robin is severely disabled with a degenerative disorder called Spinocerebellar ataxia (SCA). I have watched her decline for many years and… Continue reading Caring For A Child With Spinocerebellar Ataxia

Gina Flores

A Daughter’s Journey Becoming Her Mom’s Primary Caregiver

Caregiver Story Spotlight | Shield HealthCare “What Makes Caregiving Rewarding?” Story Contest My name is Jeanne. I am 52 years young and have just discovered the beauty of life. My story begins with a wonderful mother, who raised all nine children by herself. My mother worked hard and did everything she could to put food… Continue reading A Daughter’s Journey Becoming Her Mom’s Primary Caregiver

Gina Flores

Personal Rewards of Caregiving

Caregiver Story Spotlight | Shield HealthCare “What Makes Caregiving Rewarding?” Contest Story by Pamela S. Although there are so many special people that actually know from a very young age their goal in life is to care for others, the circumstances of life and close family members in need are what truly influence and continue to… Continue reading Personal Rewards of Caregiving

Gina Flores

The Little Engine That Could | Shield HealthCare Caregiver Story Spotlight

“Being a mother of a child who has a disability made me appreciate life a lot more. I was challenged at the beginning of my son James’ accident, thinking could I be capable of handling all his needs? And I have found that it has come as a joy. The reward from being James caregiver… Continue reading The Little Engine That Could | Shield HealthCare Caregiver Story Spotlight

Gina Flores

A Mom Celebrates Her Daughter’s “Every Little Inchstone”

Every Little Inchstone by Susan A., Shield HealthCare Grand Prize Winner, 2008 | “What Makes Caregiving Rewarding?” Story Contest Today my five-year-old daughter lifted up her fragile hand and placed it on my arm. In most families, such a subtle gesture would not be noticed, let alone celebrated. But for my daughter Karuna, who has… Continue reading A Mom Celebrates Her Daughter’s “Every Little Inchstone”

Gina Flores

Kaiser Permanente Mobile Health Visits Shield HealthCare

Kaiser Permanente’s Mobile Health Van stopped by Shield HealthCare today to provide convenient on-site health screenings for employees.  Kaiser Permanente Mobile Health provides valuable services and preventive care, including screenings for diabetes, heart disease, body mass index and other conditions. What a great way to save time and stay in tune with your health, without having to leave your workplace. Click here to learn more… Continue reading Kaiser Permanente Mobile Health Visits Shield HealthCare

Gina Flores
poema de un cuidador visiting angel poem

Visiting Angel: A Caregiver’s Poem

I have worked with the elderly for more than 20 years. Throughout my adult life I have always felt obligated to help the elderly in my community.

Gina Flores
Next Page »
Upcoming Webinars
Get Started with Shield HealthCare