o b

Monthly Archive: July 2013

What is Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a debilitating, inflammatory disease that affects the insulating and protective coating on nerve fibers, known as the myelin sheath.  With MS, the body’s own immune system attacks its nervous system, damaging the myelin sheaths that cover nerve cells.  This can occur along any area of the brain, optic nerve, and spinal… Continue reading What is Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Tips for Preparing Your Child’s Tube Feeding

We go through the steps of preparing the formula, filling the feeding bag, and cleaning the bag and tubing between feedings.

Amy Long Carrera, MS, RD, CNSC, CWCMS
How to prevent eye damage

How to Prevent Eye Damage from UV Radiation

We all know the importance of using sunscreen to protect our skin from the sun’s harmful rays, but what about protection for our eyes? July is UV Safety Month, and Eye M.D.s across the nation are urging Americans to protect their eyes and their children’s eyes by wearing sunglasses and wide-brimmed hats. Recent studies have… Continue reading How to Prevent Eye Damage from UV Radiation

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
What is a Colostomy

Dx Focus: What Is A Colostomy?

Shield HealthCare provides a general overview of the GI tract, answers "what is a colostomy?" and why someone may have a colostomy.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

What Disability? Wheelchair Athlete Pearl G

We had the honor of interviewing Pearl G. from Chicago, Illinois, a nationally recognized wheelchair athlete. Her sport of choice is wheelchair basketball.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Enjoy Flexible Job Satisfaction as a Contract Dietitian for Shield HealthCare!

Enjoy the benefits of being a Contract Registered Dietitian with Shield HealthCare, including flexible hours, the satisfaction of teaching patients and families and the opportunity to use your clinical skills in a home setting. Shield HealthCare is looking for contract registered dietitians in the areas of Denver, Fort Collins/Greeley and Colorado Springs/Pueblo to provide feeding… Continue reading Enjoy Flexible Job Satisfaction as a Contract Dietitian for Shield HealthCare!

Alzheimer's Disease

Dx Focus: What Is Alzheimer’s Disease?

Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia that causes brain cells to degenerate and die, which leads to a decline in memory function and thinking skills.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
Can I Use Coke to Unclog My Feeding Tube?

Ask the Registered Dietitian: Can I Use Coke to Unclog My Feeding Tube?

Can I use Coke to unclog my feeding tube? It's not recommended, but find out what is and find a link to video showing how to unclog a feeding tube.

Family Caregiver Support Webinar Series for Professionals

We are pleased to share the following caregiver resource from our friends at Home Instead Senior Care: The Home Instead Senior Care Network has teamed up with the American Society on Aging (ASA) and Dr. Amy D’Aprix to present a series of free web seminars throughout the year that address pertinent caregiving issues.  This family… Continue reading Family Caregiver Support Webinar Series for Professionals

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
Summer dehydration

How to Stay Hydrated During Summer Exercise

You already know you should drink extra water in the summer heat to prevent dehydration. What you may not know is that if you wait until you’re thirsty, you may already be dehydrated! About 60% of your body is made up of water and only 10% of this water is in your bloodstream, according to… Continue reading How to Stay Hydrated During Summer Exercise

Next Page »
Upcoming Webinars
Get Started with Shield HealthCare