o b

Monthly Archive: February 2020

This is What It Means to Have a Rare Disease

It took my son 15 months to his diagnosis for his first rare disease...His Primary Immunodeficiency wasn’t diagnosed until he was 11.

Alethea Mshar

Meet Our Judges for Shield HealthCare’s 2019/2020 Caregiver Contest

We brought together a panel of judges from various parts of the U.S. Shield HealthCare will be making a monetary donation to a charity of their choice.

Stephanie Struyck Elgin

‘Telling My Boss About My Invisible Condition Was One of the Best Decisions I’ve Ever Made’

After telling her boss about her invisible condition, Crohn's disease, Britany Risher got the suport she needed to help her thrive in her career.

Shield HealthCare

Por qué planificamos una vida independiente para nuestros hijos con discapacidad

La razón principal de todo lo que tenemos sueños más grandes para nuestros hijos es simplemente que ellos tienen sueños más grandes para ellos mismos.

Alethea Mshar
ADHD

Parenting a Child with ADHD

As a parent of a child with ADHD...You are constantly surveying the environment and trying to accommodate your child so that he can perform at his best.

Dr. Liz Matheis
catheter mix

Defining Your Catheter Mix: What’s In Your Freedom Kit?

Editor’s preface: we’ve received several questions recently regarding what urological products should be used when traveling vs. at home. One product certainly does not fit all situations; just as athlete wears different shoes for different terrains and sports, you may find a mix of products improve your quality of life. We asked our Spinal Cord… Continue reading Defining Your Catheter Mix: What’s In Your Freedom Kit?

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Children Who Need Medical Equipment Often Wait Months or Years

This article explores the maze of requirements that families of children with disabling health conditions must go through to obtain medical equipment.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
function of carbohydrates

What Do Carbohydrates Do?

In this article, we look at the function of carbohydrates, as well as where they come from, how the body processes them, and which ones to choose.

Shield HealthCare
spoons

Measuring Life by the Spoonful

The Spoon Theory: When living with a disability or caring for someone who is, you may find yourself thinking about how you conserve/spend energy (spoons).

Jamie Sumner
Doctor

10 Years Ago My Son’s Doctor Gave Me a Challenge

I can’t wait to look Doctor C in the eye and thank him for issuing that challenge so long ago, to tell him I never stopped trying, and to show him how far we have come.

Alethea Mshar
Next Page »