o b

Monthly Archive: September 2020

applied behavioral analysis

Getting Started with Applied Behavior Analysis

Applied behavior analysis isn’t for everyone, but it’s helping my child live his best life.

Alethea Mshar
quarantine

During Quarantine I’ve Missed This Sign of Life

Quarantine safety precautions are now so common that they have fallen all the way to the ranks of trash.

Jamie Sumner
Teachers

An Open Letter to Our Teachers

This year looks different, feels different, and is so very different. As a parent, I stand with our teachers, ready to work together for a year that will make history.

Alethea Mshar
talk about dementia

Let’s Talk About Dementia: World Alzheimer’s Month 2020

September 2020 marks the ninth World Alzheimer’s Month™, an international campaign to raise awareness and challenge the stigma surrounding dementia. The stigmatisation and misinformation that surrounds dementia remains a global issue. During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more vital than ever that people continue to talk about dementia. COVID-19 and Dementia The COVID-19 outbreak has… Continue reading Let’s Talk About Dementia: World Alzheimer’s Month 2020

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
Sensory Processing Disorder

Navigating School Re-openings with a Sensory Processing Disorder

We fully support our school’s effort to keep the building safe...However, each of these is its own obstacle for Charlie’s sensory processing disorder...

Jamie Sumner
spinal cord injury awareness month

September Is…

Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month With the advent of social media, it seems every calendar month has been earmarked with a particular cause for awareness. For spinal cord injury, that month is September. Thirty days are designated to highlight and draw attention, and thus increase fund raising for all aspects of the condition. Science and… Continue reading September Is…

Aaron Baker
Kids back-to-school

Why Our Kids May Actually Be Okay This Back-to-School Season

The good news about back-to-school this year is that our kids are resilient and will adjust. Sometimes, it’s harder for us to accept all these changes, as their parents.

Dr. Liz Matheis
differently-abled

We Need to See More Differently-abled Women in the Media

Until we start to see more differently-abled women in the media, we aren’t producing an accurate image of society.

Jamie Sumner
disposable glove shortage

Alert: Disposable Glove Availability is Decreasing

Due to the global pandemic, there is a shortage of PPE supplies, which currently includes the gloves you may be receiving from Shield HealthCare. If we do not have the gloves you usually receive, it is possible you will receive a different type of glove in your next shipment – or you might receive no… Continue reading Alert: Disposable Glove Availability is Decreasing

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
alimentación por sonda

Tube Feeding Finally Made Food Fun

Tube Feeding gave me the space to mother him in all the ways I had longed for in those early months. Most importantly, it made us both grateful for the way food can provide both physical and emotional comfort in a time of need.

Jamie Sumner