o b

Monthly Archive: April 2022

Income disparity Ohio

Connection Between Income and Health in Ohio Communities

Newly released County Health Rankings spotlights connection between income and health Newly released data from County Health Rankings show that Black Ohioans have the lowest median household income among groups of Ohioans and have, by far, the highest rate of premature death (years of potential life lost before age 75, which reflects the burden of… Continue reading Connection Between Income and Health in Ohio Communities

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
Ohioans forced off Medicaid

As pandemic ebbs, fears grow that Ohioans will be improperly forced off of Medicaid

State to decertify recipients much faster than federal guidelines require Original article published by Marty Schladen | Ohio Capital Journal Ohioans are no doubt greatly relieved that the coronavirus pandemic appears to be winding down — and taking with it the sickness, death and inconvenience of the past two years. But as it does, thousands… Continue reading As pandemic ebbs, fears grow that Ohioans will be improperly forced off of Medicaid

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
anxiety in children

Anxiety in Children: Accommodating Your Anxious Child in School and at Home

Anxiety can be a debilitating emotional experience. It has the ability to take a pleasant moment and turn it into a disaster with all of the “what if’s” that could happen.  Anxiety lies and it creates a sense of danger or incredible discomfort in daily life that is exhausting and can be debilitating and limiting.… Continue reading Anxiety in Children: Accommodating Your Anxious Child in School and at Home

Dr. Liz Matheis
gardening and children

Five Life Lessons Gardening Can Teach Your Child

I did not grow up on a farm. But I spent all my summers on one in rural Oklahoma. My grandparents turned their plot of red dirt into acres of corn and okra and tomatoes. The garden was sacred. You don’t pull a carrot too soon and you don’t climb the peach tree without permission.… Continue reading Five Life Lessons Gardening Can Teach Your Child

Jamie Sumner

Understanding Patient Skin Damage

Screening patients for incontinence is important in the home healthcare setting to prevent falls and incontinence associated dermatitis (IAD), in addition to improving each patient’s quality of life.

Sarah Sanchez, NDTR
accessible aircraft lavatories law

This New Law Will Increase Airplane Lavatory Accessibility

This new law will increase airplane lavatory accessibility for those with disabilities. Here’s how you can help. On March 18th, 2022 The U.S. Department of Transportation announced a proposed rule to increase access to lavatories on single-aisle airplanes for people with disabilities. The law would require each airplane to include one bathroom that is accessible… Continue reading This New Law Will Increase Airplane Lavatory Accessibility

Jamie Sumner
Adaptive Mountain Bikes

Choosing an Adaptive Mountain Bike

The Latest Off-Road Cycling Equipment For many years I longed to return to the winding trails and swooping dirt roads amongst the hills. I would sulk, dirt side, in my wheelchair as I watched friends pedal off on their mountain bikes for an afternoon ride. I dreamt of the day that I too could join… Continue reading Choosing an Adaptive Mountain Bike

Aaron Baker
please watch your language

Please, Watch Your Language

Once a year, I begin the process of mentally and emotionally steeling myself for my son Charlie’s annual IEP evaluation at school. It’s usually March, when the buds on the trees pop and crocus determinedly push forth. Spring is a celebration of survival. We have made it through the dark and the cold. The world… Continue reading Please, Watch Your Language

Jamie Sumner