o b

Monthly Archive: July 2022

Adaptive Water Sports

Safe & Fun Ways To Return To The Water Summer is here, and if you live anywhere near California I am sure you’ve felt the heat! I personally, love the warm weather, it reduces my aches, pains, and spasticity and urges me to get in the water—a place for real fun in the sun. And… Continue reading Adaptive Water Sports

Aaron Baker

The Rebellious Recovery

Transform Your Adversity Into Adventure Here it is! July 26th, 2022: the release date of my memoir, a detailed account of my life before and after a spinal cord injury. Writing this opus was a laborious work of love. It was a cathartic reflection of my past, a vulnerable exposure of the present moment and… Continue reading The Rebellious Recovery

Aaron Baker

Emotions and Parenting: Why Do My Children Trigger Me?

Over the years, I’ve worked with many parents who have children with meltdowns or behaviors that are overwhelming and constant. Parents often come to me with the question of, “How can I change my child?” My answer is usually not that gratifying in that my approach is to focus on what the child needs and… Continue reading Emotions and Parenting: Why Do My Children Trigger Me?

Dr. Liz Matheis

Fall Prevention Safety tips

Falls among older adults can cause serious injury or disability, and they are the leading cause of injury death among those 65 and older.

Sarah Sanchez, NDTR

Celebrating Milestone Birthdays with My Special Kid

Celebrating Milestone Birthdays with My Special Kid By Jamie Sumner I threw the biggest birthday party you can imagine the year my son Charlie turned one. “Party” is too small a word. It was a bash, a gala, a festival, a jubilee! It was all of this in the most literal sense – an extra,… Continue reading Celebrating Milestone Birthdays with My Special Kid

Jamie Sumner
AAP updated policy recommendations breastfeeding

AAP Calls for More Breastfeeding Support In Updated Policy

American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) identifies stigma, lack of support and workplace barriers as obstacles that hinder continued breastfeeding. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding of infants for the first six months of life before introducing nutritious complementary foods, while encouraging social and systemic changes to support mothers who choose to breastfeed. The… Continue reading AAP Calls for More Breastfeeding Support In Updated Policy

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Every Inchstone is Worth Celebrating

While all parents celebrate their children’s milestones and major life events, parents of children with special needs also celebrate inchstones - those tiny little milestones no bigger than an inch but every bit as significant.

Sarah Sanchez, NDTR
lower hospital readmissions

More Nursing Homes and Physicians Linked to Lower Hospital Readmissions

Medicare patients were readmitted to hospitals less frequently in communities with more nursing home beds and primary care physicians, a new Health Affairs study shows. Why it matters: Hospitals can be penalized when patients cycle through their doors repeatedly under the federal Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program. But that program does not account for the continuum of care… Continue reading More Nursing Homes and Physicians Linked to Lower Hospital Readmissions

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Accessible Coastline – Part 1: California

Explore The Seashore With Shield HealthCare! The western edge of California has some of the most spectacular coastline in the world. The Golden State is graced with hundreds of miles beautiful beaches and stunning seashore. I, like so many, love a day at the beach with family and friends, but because of my mobility challenges… Continue reading Accessible Coastline – Part 1: California

Aaron Baker
Upcoming Webinars
Get Started with Shield HealthCare
I have c6 injury and I have lots of spasm in my whole body. What can you suggest to help?
Rahul
I have found that consistent stretching, light exercise, plenty of water, quality food and rest all affect my spasticity.