o b

Monthly Archive: October 2022

Mental Health for Parents of Children with Special Needs

Parents of Children with Special Needs, Take Care of YOUR Mental Health First In the past weeks, history was made in the mental health world. An Olympic athlete intentionally chose to self-select out in an effort to protect her well-being. Wow. Just wow. She respected that she was not well enough emotionally to be able… Continue reading Mental Health for Parents of Children with Special Needs

Dr. Liz Matheis
flu and older adults

Influenza (Flu) and Older Adults

Each year, millions of people suffer from seasonal influenza, which is often called the flu. The flu is a respiratory illness caused by viruses that infect the nose, throat, and sometimes the lungs. The flu is a mild illness for some people. But for others, including older adults and those with chronic (long-lasting) health conditions,… Continue reading Influenza (Flu) and Older Adults

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
the sandwich method

The Sandwich Method

Want a More Productive Conversation with Your Child’s Caregivers? Build a Sandwich I discovered the “sandwich method” long before I had kids. As a high school English teacher, parent conferences could go one of two ways: beneficial or brutal. Humans are sensitive creatures and parents of teenagers are the most sensitive of all – there… Continue reading The Sandwich Method

Jamie Sumner
dementia tiktok

Family Caregivers Find Support on #dementia TikTok

It all changed on a Saturday night in New York City in 2016. Jacquelyn Revere was 29 and headed out to attend a friend’s comedy show. She was on the subway when her phone rang. It was a friend of her mom’s, back in Los Angeles. That’s weird, Revere thought. She never calls. “And while… Continue reading Family Caregivers Find Support on #dementia TikTok

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Introducing your Registered Dietitians at Shield HealthCare

Meet Shield HealthCare’s Registered Dietitians! What do Shield HealthCare’s Registered Dietitians do? Instruct you on how to use your supplies and formula Explain your nutrition prescription and regimen Ensure you are meeting nutrition goals for optimal health Complete a nutrition assessment for your medical team Troubleshoot issues related to tube feeding Contact your doctor and recommend… Continue reading Introducing your Registered Dietitians at Shield HealthCare

Madeline Perez
healthcare workers

Caregivers Part 1: Healthcare Workers

I recently had the privilege of sharing The Rebellious Recovery at the Providence St. Joseph’s Culture of Caring celebration—a week-long event focused on inspiring and educating their vast network of health-caregivers. My family and I were graciously welcomed into their community of doctors, nurses, therapists, social workers and spiritual leaders as an example of their… Continue reading Caregivers Part 1: Healthcare Workers

Aaron Baker
air pollution and dementia

Clearing Pollution Helps Clear the Fog of Aging — And May Cut the Risk of Dementia

During the past decade, a growing body of research has shown that air pollution harms older adults’ brains, contributing to cognitive decline and dementia. What hasn’t been clear is whether improving air quality would benefit brain health. Two studies published this year by researchers at six universities and the National Institute on Aging provide the… Continue reading Clearing Pollution Helps Clear the Fog of Aging — And May Cut the Risk of Dementia

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Accessibility-Friendly Fall Bucket List

The Ultimate Accessibility-Friendly Fall Bucket List I love a good list. It’s what keeps me both collected and adventurous – whimsically organized, if that’s a thing. Autumn is my favorite season for list-making. Perhaps it was all those starts to a new school year as a kid or simply because this season feels like it… Continue reading Accessibility-Friendly Fall Bucket List

Jamie Sumner
executive functioning strategies

New School Year, New Executive Functioning Strategies

The new school year has begun and is beginning to find its swing. Our kids are taking tests, quizzes, being assigned papers and projects. It’s happening! Summer is in the distance and the fall crisp weather is officially here. As parents, we often think about how to help our children who struggle with poor executive… Continue reading New School Year, New Executive Functioning Strategies

Dr. Liz Matheis

ADHD in Girls Going Unnoticed

Does my Daughter Have ADHD? When you think about ADHD, your natural tendency may be to envision a little boy who falls out of his seat at school, or who asks a ton of questions while his teacher is presenting a lesson.  You may even imagine a teenage boy who is lost in his thoughts… Continue reading ADHD in Girls Going Unnoticed

Dr. Liz Matheis
Next Page »
Upcoming Webinars
Get Started with Shield HealthCare