o b

Monthly Archive: December 2022

5 Principles of Meal Planning

5 Principles of Meal Planning I Learned in College that I Still Use to Feel My Family When I was in college, I served as the hospitality chair for my sorority. This job was not, as I had anticipated, passing out teacakes on doilies and arranging flowers by a fountain. Instead, it consisted of making… Continue reading 5 Principles of Meal Planning

Jamie Sumner

New Year Intentions vs. Resolutions

It’s 2023! We all have high hopes for the new year for our country, our world, our homes, our lives. We want a new year to bring new hope and intense change, perhaps even a return to “normal.” This is especially true since the pandemic began, but while much time has passed, our desire to… Continue reading New Year Intentions vs. Resolutions

Dr. Liz Matheis
8 tips for creating an accessible home

Everyone’s a Fortune Teller When It Comes to New Year’s Resolutions

Nothing Wrong With A Little Hope Nine years ago this January, my spouse and I drove by a two-story house with a deck on the back and two giant maple trees out front and knew this would be our future home. I mean, we didn’t know know, but there was a “For Sale” sign in… Continue reading Everyone’s a Fortune Teller When It Comes to New Year’s Resolutions

Jamie Sumner
hearing aid dementia

Study Finds Hearing Aids May Reduce Dementia Risk for Seniors

An analysis of 31 other studies concludes that, for people with hearing loss, hearing aids reduce their risk of long-term cognitive decline by 19%. As we age, the prospect of dementia is out of our hands in many respects. Simply getting older is the biggest risk factor, followed by genetics. But a study published earlier this month… Continue reading Study Finds Hearing Aids May Reduce Dementia Risk for Seniors

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Top 12 Films About a Spinal Cord Injury

About Spinal Cord Injury I recently wrote a blog detailing the Red Bull Films Documentary “Any One Of Us” featured on HBO. I pondered for a moment the impact that film had on me, and others like it. That is why I decided to list out my top 12 films & documentaries that either depict… Continue reading Top 12 Films About a Spinal Cord Injury

Aaron Baker

Anxiety Management: How to Protect Your Energy

Anxious People: Protect Your Energy Anxiety is an incredibly pervasive feeling that impacts every part of our functioning. It impacts our decisions, our thoughts, our feelings, our assessments and most importantly, our perception of ourselves.  Anxious people are some of the most caring and thoughtful people who just want to do right by others. Anxious… Continue reading Anxiety Management: How to Protect Your Energy

Dr. Liz Matheis

How to Know when to Quit

When Quitting is Winning When I was fifteen, I told my mother I wanted to “go into” fencing. I was ready to make a career out of it with the giant onesie and chest pads and face guard and epee (a term I knew only from crossword puzzles). Why had I decided this? Looking back,… Continue reading How to Know when to Quit

Jamie Sumner
Sesame as major food allergen

FASTER Act Identifies Sesame as Major Food Allergen

What is the Food Allergy Safety, Treatment, Education, and Research Act of 2021? On April 23, 2021, President Biden signed a new food allergy bill into law: the Food Allergy Safety, Treatment, Education, and Research (or FASTER) Act of 2021. The FASTER Act adds sesame to the list of major food allergens identified in the… Continue reading FASTER Act Identifies Sesame as Major Food Allergen

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Give Your Children Room To De-Stress

Let It Go – Parents, Let your Teens Unwind The past 15 months have been unprecedented. As I always ask – how many pandemics have you lived through? Our teens made insane changes quickly and suddenly and although, they were initially welcomed, that is not the sentiment right now. Our teens became anxious, sad, overwhelmed,… Continue reading Give Your Children Room To De-Stress

Dr. Liz Matheis
caregivers part 2 family and friends

Caregivers Part 2: Family and Friends

Recently, I shared about an incredible experience I had at Providence Hospital. You can read more about that week on my previous blog (Caregivers Part 1: Healthcare Workers). I spoke with over 2,500 caregivers – medical professionals who have gone into this line of work. These nurses, doctors, and therapists have chosen to give their… Continue reading Caregivers Part 2: Family and Friends

Aaron Baker