o b

Monthly Archive: May 2023

busting the myth of summer

Busting the Myth of Summer

I was this many years old when I realized the saying is “you’ve got another think coming,” not “you’ve got another thing coming.” Did you know this? Did everyone but me know this? I felt like I’d been walking around in an inside out shirt for decades. It’s like singing the lyrics to your favorite… Continue reading Busting the Myth of Summer

Jamie Sumner
mom guilt. silhouette of a depressed mom struggling with guilt.

What’s Behind Mom-Guilt?

What’s Behind Mom Guilt? Mom Guilt. Ugh. It comes with the territory of being a mom. But why? Why is it so ingrained in us, as parents and as moms, to care with every ounce of our soul, until our physical battery is at 0% – and yet we still feel guilty?  How many moms… Continue reading What’s Behind Mom-Guilt?

Dr. Liz Matheis
five senses

Using the Five Senses to Calm

There is a technique in trauma therapy that calls upon the five senses when hurt or the memory of past hurt becomes too overwhelming. It’s so simple it feels almost impossible to be a thing that works. But in my own experience, it’s often the simplest methods that do the trick. Like setting out running… Continue reading Using the Five Senses to Calm

Jamie Sumner
biohacking techniques for improving health with spinal cord injury

Biohacking: New Age Wellness with a Spinal Cord Injury

When I owned a gym, I met new clients with varying conditions every day, but they all had one question in common – what did you do to recover? As much as I wish there was a manual that I could hand people to duplicate, it just isn’t that simple. Each condition is different, each… Continue reading Biohacking: New Age Wellness with a Spinal Cord Injury

Aaron Baker
summer activities for wheelchair users

20 Summer Activities for Wheelchair Users

Summer is wonderful if you’re a kid! Freedom to sleep in, let your backpack gather dust under a heap of dirty clothes also gathering dust, eat leftover pizza at ten a.m., eat ice cream at midnight. It’s bliss. It’s also a lot of long hours to fill if you are a wheelchair-user and school was… Continue reading 20 Summer Activities for Wheelchair Users

Jamie Sumner

Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring to Find Your Optimal Eating Plan

With so much information available regarding diets on the internet, in books, on TV, and with many “quick fixes” plans, it can be very confusing and often contradictory. The introduction of continuous glucose monitors (CGM) has provided the ability to personalize your lifestyle and food choices by having real-time actionable information.

Kristin Sessums
accessible beach for wheelchair

Accessible Coastline— Part 2: The Gulf & East Coast

The weather is warming up and beach days are drawing near. In Part 1 of this blog series I profiled ten of my favorite locals along the West Coast of the United States (read here). But now, we look east to the Atlantic coastline and even south towards the Gulf of Mexico for some amazing, and… Continue reading Accessible Coastline— Part 2: The Gulf & East Coast

Aaron Baker
teen girls social media and body image

Parenting Teen Girls: Social Media, Body Image and Emotional Health

As a mother of a teen girl myself, I know how difficult it is for teen girls to just be in today’s present world. The CDC released an article stating that “US teen girls are Experiencing Increased Sadness and Violence”. Both males and females are suffering, but the data shows that girls actually “fared worse… Continue reading Parenting Teen Girls: Social Media, Body Image and Emotional Health

Dr. Liz Matheis
work after ostomy surgery

Going Back to Work After Ostomy Surgery

Tips on how to make your transition back to work after ostomy surgery as easy as possible and what to talk to your boss about.

Laura Cox, LPC
Jamie sumner holding her son with complex medical needs

The Power of Perspective

How You View Your Past Is a Window into Your Present I broke up with the man I thought I was going to marry on New Year’s day. What a way to go into a new year, right? The breakup had not been part of the plan. In fact, we had gone to a concert,… Continue reading The Power of Perspective

Jamie Sumner