o b

Monthly Archive: July 2023

video snapshot of woman applying a CGM sensor to her arm. learn more about the four key benefits of CGM for Medicare patients with diabetes

What is CGM? Four Key Benefits of CGM

Continuous Glucose Monitoring, or "CGM", is a tool that helps individuals with diabetes to track their glucose* levels continuously throught the day and night.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Kate Farms: Fresh New Look and Label Updates

Shield HealthCare is committed to providing excellent customer service and keeping you informed of important product changes. Beginning July 2023, Kate Farms is introducing an update to both their product packaging and their labels. Read below for more information on these changes. What is changing: Product packaging. You will see new graphics on cartons and… Continue reading Kate Farms: Fresh New Look and Label Updates

Madeline Perez
image of man leading strike outside of a multistory building, holding a megaphone with his hand in the air. UPS and Teamsters reach tentative agreement, potentially averting strike

UPS, Teamsters Potentially Avert Strike With Tentative Agreement

In recent weeks, businesses large and small created contingency plans in anticipation of a possible strike that threatened to disrupt logistics nationwide.

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
difference between xray, mri and ct scan

X-Rays, MRI Scans and CT Scans: What’s the Difference?

Finding Answers in an X-Ray, MRI or CT Scan (CAT Scan) Picture this (literally) – You are rushed into the hospital and you have a serious condition. What do the doctors suggest doing first? Should they order an X-ray? But what is that going to show? Is it an MRI? But what is that exactly?… Continue reading X-Rays, MRI Scans and CT Scans: What’s the Difference?

Aaron Baker
picture of clinician in scrubs in a clinical setting, with a Shield HealthCare nametag. registered dietitian vs nutritionist.

Registered Dietitian (RD) vs Nutritionist, and Why It Matters

In the age of social media, it’s hard to avoid scrolling past someone who is trying to promote the latest nutrition fad. These people are often boasting a “nutritionist” or “health coach” title. When trying to find someone to rely on for nutrition support and education, it is important to know who to turn to… Continue reading Registered Dietitian (RD) vs Nutritionist, and Why It Matters

Alexandra Gomez, RD
young disabled boy in his wheelchair looking out at his yard with a smile. looking toward the future with a child with disabilities

Future Vs Now: Our Vision for Charlie

The Fine Balance of Looking Toward the Future and Living in the Moment Late one Saturday night as I was rearranging bicycles and boxes and rakes yet again in the garage so the doors wouldn’t freak out and refuse to close, my husband held his phone under my nose and said, “Look at this one.”… Continue reading Future Vs Now: Our Vision for Charlie

Jamie Sumner
female doctor kneeling in hospital hallway and handing a red balloon to a young cancer patient. demonstrating the importance of empathy in healthcare.

Why Empathy in Healthcare Matters

I will never forget the call I received on the evening of September 18, 2019. Noah, the son of dear family friends, was taken for an emergent MRI due to concerning symptoms he had developed over the previous weeks. It was on this call that I received the news that the MRI showed Noah had… Continue reading Why Empathy in Healthcare Matters

Mikaela Morris, RD
mother of two teenage children looking worried as children ignore her to play on their phones. phone addiction in children.

Phone Addiction: Helping Our Children Put Their Phones Down

Facts: our children are glued to their screens. As parents, we see this, we know this, and at times it’s easier not to fight it. How many times have you asked your teen to put down their phone while you are trying to have a conversation? How many times have you heard, “Just let me… Continue reading Phone Addiction: Helping Our Children Put Their Phones Down

Dr. Liz Matheis

Adaptive Race Car Driving

Overcoming Challenges in the Fast Lane In the world of motorsports, the pursuit of speed, precision, and adrenaline is often associated with physically demanding feats. However, there is a remarkable and inspiring segment of race car drivers who defy the odds and compete at the highest level despite physical limitations. Adaptive race car driving represents… Continue reading Adaptive Race Car Driving

Aaron Baker

Fostering Medically Fragile Children

Driven by their shared calling and desire to make a difference beyond the hospital walls, Victor and Carol, made a life-altering decision to foster.

Jessie Varela, RDN, LDN