o b

Monthly Archive: October 2023

bladder conditions and tips for bladder health

Eight Tips for Bladder Health

What is the Bladder? The bladder is a ballon-like hollow organ that collects and holds urine created by our kidneys. Urine contains the waste and fluids that remain after our body takes what it needs from what we eat and drink. The bladder is one of those body parts that we often don’t think about… Continue reading Eight Tips for Bladder Health

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Caregiver Contest Runner-Up Winner: Kaitlin W.

Congratulations to Runner-Up winner Kaitlin W. from Washington. I started my career in Healthcare long before my kids entered into my life. I always thought I wanted to be a journalist until my uncle got sick with bone cancer and I took care of him until his last breath. I thought then my life was… Continue reading Caregiver Contest Runner-Up Winner: Kaitlin W.

Madeline Perez
strong female women: life should be like a taylor swift concert. Fans waving hands and holding up phones, looking toward bright concert stage.

Life Should Be Like a Taylor Swift Concert

I saw a meme the other day that basically said we have Taylor Swift and Barbie to thank for sustaining the current economy. It’s not wrong. Strong female women are on the upswing and the more the merrier. It’s Taylor Swift in particular who has me captivated. She is re-recording and re-releasing every one of… Continue reading Life Should Be Like a Taylor Swift Concert

Jamie Sumner
LBGTQ+ caregivers. Senior couple looking lovingly into each others' eyes at sunset.

LGBTQ Caregivers: Challenges, Joys and Realities

By 2030, there will be more than 7 million LGBTQ+ Americans over 65. Like all Americans, many will find themselves in the role of caregiver for a loved one. But they may face some challenges that others do not. Many will be caring for someone who is not a family member. Numerous LGBTQ+ older adults… Continue reading LGBTQ Caregivers: Challenges, Joys and Realities

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS
multigenerational family at home. Black grandmother in wheelchair talking with two toddler granddaughters who are sitting on their mother's lap. Sandwich generation.

¿Qué es la Generación Sándwich?

El término “generación sándwich” se refiere a adultos de mediana edad, que tienen entre 30 y 60 años, y que se encargan de cuidar a sus padres mayores y también de cuidar a sus propios hijos (y/o nietos) al mismo tiempo. En efecto, estos cuidadores se encuentran “atrapados” entre la obligación de cuidar a sus… Continue reading ¿Qué es la Generación Sándwich?

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

Grupos de Apoyo y Recursos para la Alimentación por Sonda

Las familias de niños alimentados por sonda a menudo enfrentan problemas únicos que no suelen experimentar la mayoría de los padres y cuidadores. Muchos padres consideran que discutir los desafíos y alegrías de la alimentación por sonda con otras personas que hayan tenido experiencias similares es extremadamente útil. Ya sea que estén dirigidos por padres… Continue reading Grupos de Apoyo y Recursos para la Alimentación por Sonda

Amy Long Carrera, MS, RD, CNSC, CWCMS

Prevención de Riesgos de Caídas para Adultos Mayores

Las caídas son comunes, prevenibles y mortales. Cada segundo de cada día, un adulto mayor (mayor de 65 años) sufre una caída en los Estados Unidos. Las caídas son la principal causa de lesiones y/o muerte entre los mayores de 65 años, y más del 95% de las fracturas de cadera son consecuencia de una… Continue reading Prevención de Riesgos de Caídas para Adultos Mayores

Madeline Perez
child doing homework in the kitchen with mother putting away dishes. homework strategies for children with ADHD

3 Homework Strategies for Children with ADHD

It’s the start of a new school year, the honeymoon phase is slowly beginning to fade, and the rigor of the academics is taking off. Every year, I begin the new school year with a mountain-high amount of hope that the summer contributed to maturation and consolidation of a new set of skills in my… Continue reading 3 Homework Strategies for Children with ADHD

Dr. Liz Matheis
financial tips living with spinal cord injury

Legal and Financial Tips for Life with SCI

Seven Tips to Empower Your Decision-Making When I was injured with a spinal cord injury at the age of 21, I was financially irresponsible. I was an athlete using my parent’s gas card for grocery shopping and race gas. I had no thoughts of the future, or planning for the what-ifs. Now having an injury,… Continue reading Legal and Financial Tips for Life with SCI

Aaron Baker
older boy in a halloween costume - tween wheelchair user

Costume Ideas for Tween Wheelchair-Users

I think we can all agree that Halloween has its ages and stages: Stage 1: Baby Halloween is when your parents dress you in a Pinterest-worthy costume and carry you around like a prop. Stage 2: The Golden Years are the precious elementary school years when you care deeply about costume esthetics and mirror your… Continue reading Costume Ideas for Tween Wheelchair-Users

Jamie Sumner
Next Page »