o b

Monthly Archive: December 2023

ADHD at school

Should I Medicate my Child with ADHD?

Medication for ADHD is not some sort of magical solution.  Although it may help with improving your child’s ability to attend for longer periods, it will not manage the executive functioning, behavioral, social, and emotional struggles that often walk hand-in-hand with ADHD. Parents often struggle with this question: should I place my child on medication?… Continue reading Should I Medicate my Child with ADHD?

Dr. Liz Matheis
give yourself grace

Adaptive Clothing For EveryBODY!

Fashion Forward Fashion is in a constant state of change – trends, classic pieces, and risky moments! Recently, we have seen brands expanding their size ranges, as well as functionality. These latest accommodations have made it more inclusive in the market for people of all abilities to shop and be stylish!   Tommy Hilfiger Adaptive:… Continue reading Adaptive Clothing For EveryBODY!

Aaron Baker
Sensory Processing Disorder

When the School System Breaks Down

No one fed my son lunch yesterday. Charlie did not eat from seven thirty in the morning until four thirty in the afternoon. I do not know this because he told me. Due to his limited verbal skills, he often can’t tell me how his day went. I know this because when I went to… Continue reading When the School System Breaks Down

Jamie Sumner
National IV Nurses Day

What is Infusion Therapy?

Infusion therapy is when medication or fluids are administered through a needle or catheter, usually via an intravenous line (IV). It is a method of delivering medication or nutrition that can’t be taken orally or that needs to be dispensed quickly and/or at a controlled pace. Some types of chemotherapy, for example, need to be… Continue reading What is Infusion Therapy?

Brooke Phillips, CWCMS

CGM Accuracy: The difference between BGM and CGM

Learn why Blood Glucose Monitoring (BGM) and Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) readings are sometimes different and how accurate CGM is.

Paige Oyaga
adaptive gaming

Adaptive Gaming: A Level Playing Field

Leveling the Playing Field Through Virtual Reality I am now old enough to have played most of the original home video game consoles like Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Play Station and Xbox – all of which brought great joy and entertainment to me as a young boy. Little did I know that the virtual world… Continue reading Adaptive Gaming: A Level Playing Field

Aaron Baker

Weight Loss – How do I do it?

Registered Dietitian Lisa Plinario, from Shield Healthcare, shares her advise on weightloss.

Lisa Plinario, RD, LD
Weather

How to Create an Inclusive Workplace

Embracing diversity in all its forms enriches the workplace, innovation, and a culture of understanding. By implementing inclusive policies, organizations can create an environment where everyone feels valued, respected, and empowered to contribute.

Aaron Baker
Prevent Pressure Injuries

Moverse cada dos horas: Cambiar de posición a los pacientes para prevenir lesiones por presión

Las lesiones por presión (también conocidas como úlceras por presión) afectan a unos 2,5 millones de pacientes cada año en los centros de cuidados intensivos de los Estados Unidos[1]. Aunque algunas lesiones por presión son inevitables, la mayoría se pueden prevenir, una manera efectiva de hacerlo es moviéndose y cambiando de posición con frecuencia. La… Continue reading Moverse cada dos horas: Cambiar de posición a los pacientes para prevenir lesiones por presión

Madeline Perez
Unstructured Play

Turning “Interesting” into an Action

My son Charlie recently got a new bus mate. Her name is Emmaline and she is also in fifth and uses a wheelchair. I had met Emmaline several times over the last few years, but only recently, at the fall school picnic, did I have a chance to really talk to her. To put it… Continue reading Turning “Interesting” into an Action

Jamie Sumner